Are you considering doing some painting around your house or office in the coming year? Here are ideas to consider based on 2013 Color ‘discussions’ by some of the leading paint companies.
In a sentence–“Look for a lot of variety and contrast to be popular in 2013.”
Sherwin Williams, Dunn Edwards, Benjamin Moore, Behr and Pantone all have published their predictions for what the popular paint colors and combinations of colors will be in the coming year.
Benjamin Moore: Intersection– Flow, Cycle, Animate, Connect
Sherwin Williams: Opposites Attract–Midnight mystery, Honed Vitality, Vintage Moxie, High Voltage
Dunn Edwards: A New Renaissance Influences Palette and Textures–Simply Re-invented, Simply Re-newal, Simply Re-imagined and Simply Re-vival.
Pantone According to the PANTONE VIEW home + interiors 2013 book, there are nine color palettes predicted to dominate interior design and furniture trends in 2013. A mix of muted palettes serve as the new classics while rainbow-inspired colors provoke bolder style statements. Note: From the Casa Sugar Blog
Before you begin your painting, it is always a good idea to try your color choices on several walls in the room. Different walls have different levels of light reflection and the colors will look a bit different in different spaces due to the levels and types of light they will have. We recommend at least a 3′-0″ x 3′-0″ square on the wall. If the wall already has paint color on it, we also recommend priming before putting the new paint color up.
Of course S Interior Design is always available to help in the Phoenix metro area!
Okay, I have a confession—I have a bit of an accent pillow obsession (along with shoes of course!). Accent pillows are a great way to update your existing seating and bedding without starting from scratch.
You can change pillows out seasonally to evoke the feeling of summer or fall or winter or even at holiday times. You can splurge on a pricey fabric when having pillows fabricated because you don’t need a lot of yardage. Styles range from simple box pillows to highly adorned and trimmed pillows; the options are endless.
So, when asked to post this guest blog about decorative pillows, we of course said YES!!
Pillows are like the icing on the cake. They bring life to sofas and beds. Pillows are important design elements in the house, and they are some of the best items to express the owner’s individuality. Beautiful pillows have great fabrics that match the theme of the room.
Factors to Consider when Decorating with Pillows
Homeowners should consider the pillows’ size so that they will match the size of the sofa and the bed. Standard pillows usually measure about 18 inches. They are great for typical-sized sofas. Large pillows are also a good choice when owners are trying to create a more lounge-like and casual feel.
Pillows with feather-and-down fills are the softest. Unfortunately, this is the most expensive pillow filler. On the other hand, foam and other synthetic fills can hold the pillow’s shape as they are stiffer.
Designers like to include an odd numbers of pillows as it tends to be more artistic. Homeowners may consider having one, three or five pillows depending on the number that can fit into the furniture. Typically, a chair needs only one pillow while a standard 88-inch sofa needs three or five pillows.
• Shape and Color
Opting for a combination of different pillow shapes creates a fun and lively appearance. One common combo is a pair of square solid pillow with a color that contrasts with the sofa, one oblong-shaped pillow at the center and two extras. The two additional pillows can have patterns and may have the same color as either the sofa or the solid pillows.
The texture of the pillows should contrast with the sofa’s upholstery. This will ensure that people will not slide off their seats.
• Room’s Theme
All pillows in the living room do not necessarily have to be the same. However, there should be at least a connection between them that will show through their palette or style. A good theme will provide the room with a more polished and unified feel.
Decorating Sofas with Throw Pillows
The Traditional Look
• Even numbers of pillows are great for a traditional sofa look. Four pillows may be arranged on either side of the furniture to present balance and order.
• The pillow size will depend on the size of the sofa. The traditional look is enhanced by pairing 20 to 22 inch square pillows with smaller sized round pillows. Proportion is the key for a pleasing traditional sofa look.
• Silk and velvet pillow fabric can work best with a traditional sofa look. It can have prints and patterns such as flowers. These prints should be simple and may only have two or three colors. One solid and one printed pillow make a great pair.
• A thin braid or cord is a great choice for small pillow trims, and tassel fringes are perfect for bigger ones.
The Modern Look
• An odd number of pillows works best with modern designs. A few large pillows can be mixed with little ones.
• The pillows should be large enough to show off large pattern designs or just a solid color. Oblong-shaped pillows will also boost the modern look.
• Cotton and linen are the best picks for pillow fabrics. Large geometric prints with a few different colors should be considered. However, those who love more colors are not prohibited from going for what they like.
• Trims are usually only for traditional look, but they can also be used. They should maintain the pillow’s solid color and at the same time add interest to it. http://www.2modern.com has a lot of modern pillow collections to choose from.
The Eclectic Look
• An odd or even number of pillows can work well in an eclectic room without making it look cluttered.
• Generally, designers prefer similarly sized large pillows that measure around 18 to 24 inches.
• The pillow fabrics can all be different, but they should have at least one color that connects them. This will ensure that they have unity despite having different fabrics. The eclectic look actually relies more on the fabric than the other elements.
• Trims should be kept simple. They can have braided edges. Inside Avenue offers many choices of decorative pillows that will perfectly complete the living room’s eclectic look.
Decorating Beds with Pillows
• It is best that pillows are positioned with the biggest part at the back and the smaller part in front. Doing so will ensure that the fabric is given more emphasis.
• Pillow colors can be pulled from all fixtures and furniture inside the room.
• Pillow colors and patterns can bring a more casual look to the bedroom. One great example is white bedding topped with a heavily printed coverlet and white and gray-colored pillows.
• Contemporary looks often involve white pillows and one decorative pillow as an accent.
• Pillow positions on the bed can also add to the overall look of the room. They can be placed diagonally. This may be a simple idea, but this little interesting detail can actually make a lot of difference.
• People who want to have numerous pillows on the bed should opt for a limited palette so as not to overwhelm the room. There are homeowners who really want to have nine pillows around them. There are more pillow ideas available here.
Decorating a home with pillows is fun. Homeowners can actually change the overall feel of their homes by simply adding pillows or changing their fabric, colors and arrangement. However, it is always important that they follow the rules in choosing the pillows for their sofa or bed. Otherwise, their space will look more cluttered rather than pleasing. Different types of pillows for modern, traditional and conventional looks can be found at instyle-decor.
This Guest Post is written by Lisa Jolan: You can connect with her on twitter @lisajolan
Wherever in the vast world you reside, the fact is purchasing items on-line is a part of our lives. Would you feel comfortable furnishing your home or office using only on-line resources? Do you still feel the need to see and touch furnishings in person? Many of S Interior Design’s clients are comfortable doing research on-line, but still want to give their seating what we call ‘the tush test’ before purchasing (we highly recommend it!!). It is also nice to actually see and feel fabrics or leathers that will be used on upholstered pieces of furniture. That said, many household furnishing items can be purchased on-line with little risk or fear; such as accent pillows, accessories and lighting. We have had good success purchasing area rugs on-line for great prices for many of our clients in the past few years. S Interior Design offers virtual design services where a full design plan is developed for a client who lives outside the geography we work with in-person. Included in the service is the identification of on-line resources to execute the plan.
Below is a guest post that speaks to this subject.
Online shopping is just one of the reasons given for the demise of high streets up and down the UK. For many, purchasing groceries, gifts and clothing online is now the norm, instead of visiting stores. However, it seems that many still prefer to shop in store when purchasing new furniture for the home.
There are a number of disadvantages to furnishing the home through online shopping. For many people, the main one is that they are unable to look and touch the items that they are considering purchasing. For those looking for furniture such as traditional solid pine and oak, they find it easier to purchase online. Not only are colors and styles easily identifiable, the fact that no single piece of wood furniture is identical (because of its grain) means that it is easy to purchase without physically viewing. For those who are looking to replace existing items with the same, or similar, ordering online can also be pain-free.
For those who are reluctant to purchase upholstered pieces or soft furnishings online, a number of companies have fabric samples available. By requesting samples, it allows customers to make informed purchase decisions.
One of the additional expenses of buying furniture is the delivery costs. Local stores can often deliver (and sometimes assemble) furniture for free, whereas many online stores will have a set delivery charge. Couriers often deliver items and they may not be able to deliver furniture into the room where it is required or offer any assembly services.
Some online furniture suppliers are also able to offer complete room solutions to their customers. This means that in the online room design, all of the furniture is for sale. So when selecting a media unit and coffee table, the sofas are available, as well as the soft furnishings such as cushions and curtains. The opportunity to purchase a complete room ensures that when everything arrives in the home, it will coordinate fully.Some shoppers will choose to spend time browsing in furniture stores and then shop online to find the best price deal for that furniture, as one of the main advantages to shopping online is the financial savings and deals. For stores who operate online, they are often able to keep their prices down, as they do not need to employ staff on shop floors. Shopping online is also great for those who work shifts or have commitments that make it difficult to go out shopping for new furniture.
When purchasing online, customers should never be afraid to ring the company and ask for further information about delivery, warranties or any other queries that they may have. How many people are confident enough to purchase their home entirely online is questionable, although the ease that online furniture shopping offers is making it a popular choice for many.
Everything for the home is available online, even paints and wallpapers, but for those who do not feel brave enough to furnish their home entirely online, they should consider purchasing soft furnishings such as Dunelm-Mill .
From this, purchasing a new room is just a few clicks away.
Master Bedroom Makeovers by S Interior Design- We all love a movie right? Short and sweet with some nice music to go along 🙂