My company that came from the Midwest for Thanksgiving just left. I sat back and reflected on our time together. I asked myself the questions:
“Was I a good hostess for my guests?”
“Did they have a comfortable room to sleep in? ”
“Did they have a fun and relaxing time while they were here?”
And finally, “What could I have done differently to make their experience in my house even better?
I saw this picture in the House Beautiful on-line magazine and thought, if I were a guest in someone’s house over night and got presented with this at breakfast time, I would NEVER want to leave.
Here are some good ways to make sure your guests will have fond memories of their time in your home:
*Think about who is most likely to use the room and determine the beds you’ll need. A queen sized bed is good for couples, but if you don’t have the room, consider twins, a daybed, or a trundle-bed.
* Supply proper bedding for the season: lightweight blankets and sheets in the summer, and jersey or flannel sheets in the winter, plus extra blankets and a throw.
*If it is the summer time, put a portable fan in the room. People have different temperature preferences when they sleep and a fan will provide another way to keep cool.
* Stock the closet with a variety of bed pillows — soft, hard, flat, fluffy, down, synthetic — so guests can choose the one that’s most comfortable for them.
* Always include an alarm clock and reading lamp, and make room for a bedside table or nightstand to rest them on.
* Make sure guests have a place to store clothes and empty luggage.
* Pay attention to window treatments and how light enters the room at different times of the day.
* Add a refillable carafe for middle of the night thirst quenching.
* Add night lights to direct your guests to the bathroom.
* Supply a basket of travel size lotions and soaps.
* Lay out towels including bath, hand and wash cloths.
If your guests will be doing some sight-seeing while they are visiting, do as the Bed & Breakfasts do; provide a basket filled with tourist attractions and menus to various restaurants.
It is important to have another place to sit besides the bed in the room. A chair with an accent table to place a drink or book is ideal.