S Interior Design is often asked to host guest blog articles. Our standard criteria for accepting a guest post is that it will provide useful information for our readers. The guest posting below is from a writer in Australia (I always get a kick out of the different terminology used in countries other than the U.S. :)). It contains some very basic information about cabinetry types that can be used throughout a home. An analogy I have used is that you cannot successfully play a sport without the proper equipment, and you cannot be organized in your home without the proper spaces to store your things. CABINETS are the key ingredient to having an organized home.
Few Essential Things about Cabinets
A cabinet is a type of furniture enclosed with the shelves and usually has a door in the front. They are commonly made of wood. Metal can also be used usually in public or industrial areas.
Types of cabinets
A cabinet can be installed in several places. The common places in a household where cabinets can be installed are explained below.
- Bathroom cabinets: Several things need to be kept in the bathroom and they are usually pushed into the drawers or piled on the counters, and finally it becomes difficult to search for the essentials. In this situation, cabinets would come to the rescue. The cabinets not only make searching of the things easier, it also makes the bathroom look good. The toiletries, medicine, cleaning essentials, and other accessories can be easily hidden in the cabinets. The modification and adjustment of the cabinets are done as per the width, height, and depth of the area. The common types of bathroom cabinets available in the market are:
- Medicine cabinets
- Linen cabinets
- Bath cabinetry
- Toilet toppers (a cabinet on the wall above a toliet)
- Closet cabinets: Closet cabinets are available in several finishes, styles, and textures. Here everything from clothing to the shoes can be kept in a well-arranged manner. The clothes can be kept in the drawers or hung in hangers as per the convenience. Usually, these cabinets are custom build as per the convenience of the user. The closed cabinets can be organized with sophistication and style. The design of the closet gives a much composed and coordinated look. The common things included in closet cabinets are:
- Shelf dividers
- Shoe storage
- Garment racks
- Garage cabinets: The garage space slowly becomes clustered and dusty. It becomes a storage space that accumulates several storage items. Sometimes, it becomes difficult to park the car in the garage since it becomes a dump yard for all items. The garage cabinet would allow storage of several items without creating a mess. It relieves from the hassle of moving the items around. The small items can be stored in the shelves in the cabinets. The installation of the cabinets would provide a proper space for parking the cars and would help to keep the clutter less. The common things that can be kept in garage cabinets are:
- Sports equipment
- Car accessories
- Snowboards or skis
- Gardening tools
- Seasonal items
- Yard tools
- Toys for kids
- Kitchen cabinets: There are multiple types of kitchen cabinets based on the budget and lifestyle. There are numerous types of panel finishes, door styles, and wood species available. It is essential to store all the essential kitchen accessories such as cooking or serving utensils, raw materials and other essential things.
The cabinets are usually made of wood, plywood, laminate, or thermophile (in the States we call it Thermofoil). They are available in numerous textures, color, and appearances. Though the wood is undoubtedly the best material the others also gives a look like wood. Synthetic cabinets are also a good option, especially when the budget and time frame is less. The advantages of installing the wooden cabinet are as follows.
- Appearance: They definitely have the best look that is beautiful, classic, as well as timeless. The appearance adds value to the household.
- Customization: Wood can be used in different color, design, and shape. The installation cost for installing the wooden cabinets are usually low and is not at all labor intensive. While installation cost of the metal cabinets is much higher.
- Durability: Usually, the best quality wooden cabinets are most durable. The durability of the cabinets also somewhat depends on the usage and maintenance.