Below is guest post discussing how rustic and modern design elements can work beautifully together. S Interior Design sometimes refers to this blending of styles as ORGANIC CONTEMPORARY. This mixture can deliver a warm, inviting design outcome. There are a lot of opportunities to create spaces with unique design elements included when you work in this design spectrum.
When I saw the title to this post we were being asked to share with our readers I thought ‘Wow, great timing, I could use a bit of inspiration in my own home office right about now!”
Home offices can be a blessing and a curse. You get to work at home, avoid a stressful commute and really work in a space that you make your own.
At the same time, I think that if you don’t have a space that you enjoy working in, it can make you unproductive or leave you unmotivated.
So, if you are looking for some home office design ideas to make your office a dream to work in, take a look at some of my easy and fun tips to achieve a home office you will actually look forward to working in.
1. Use a Theme
I know what you might be thinking, that themes are tacky are won’t work for a home office. But let me just tell you, it’s not true. Themes can work well for an office space and give you easy design rules to follow for a beautifully put together space.
One of my personal favorite themes to use is a coastal theme. This one works particularly well in a home office because it focuses on lots of white furniture, lots of light and wooden accents.
2. Decorate functionally
I know that looking at Pinterest is good for inspiration but don’t forget that the room needs to be workable as well.
Of course you can still choose a well-designed space but don’t forget to include practical items like a filing cabinet or lots of desk space.
3. Embrace natural light
I think we all know that no-one wants to work in a dark and depressing space so make sure you are making the most of the natural light that you have in the room. Use white curtains or blinds to let the light through. If you want to, you could get rid of the curtains completely to make sure that you get as much light in the room as possible.
I know that this might not be possible for everyone, and if your home office is lacking in natural or direct sunlight, you can achieve a similar effect if you add lamps to your home office. It’s not quite the same as the real thing, but goes a long way to helping you create a bright and airy home office.
4. Add comfortable elements
Adding a lounge chair or armchair can be a great way to relax when you need to read over some papers or simply just want a break from your desk.This is particularly important because it means that when you want to sit somewhere comfortable you don’t need to leave your office and you remain in work mode.
5. Optimize Storage
When it comes to storage you need to really make the most of the space you have with an organized and efficient storage system. Make sure that you have a place for everything and that everything goes back into its place.
Before you take on this task I would recommend making sure you have all the files, boxes and storage items you need to efficiently organize your office.
6. Green Touches
This is one of my favorite tips, as not only does adding plants improve the air quality of the room, it also gives the room a fresher and more alive feeling.
If you want to keep your home office closed on the weekends, keep in mind that you need to choose plants that don’t need watering all the time.
I love to personalize my house with photos of friends and family, and a home office should be no exception. Use photos and mementos of friends, family and good times to personalize your office space and add a familiar touch.
Don’t forget to rotate them so they don’t get too boring and familiar.
8. Keep it clutter free
This might seem like one of the most obvious tips for creating a home office that you actually want to work in, but I think it’s one of the most important.
Keeping it organized and tidy can really help you work better but also keeps your motivated to work there, no one wants to work in a messy office.
9. Stock up
This one is an easy one to follow but makes all the difference. Making sure you have all the things when you need makes sure that you are efficient use of your time and you aren’t having to run out to the store all the time.
This also has the added advantage of being able to make use of bulk discounts, ultimately saving you money which is never a bad thing!
So there you have it, some easy tips to make the most of your home office space. If you are looking for ways to create a home office that you actually want to work in, give one of these ideas a go and I promise you will be loving your home office in no time.
Being passionate about beautiful interiors and architecture, I also have recently begun to write and contribute to this knowledge ecosystem. I strongly believe that the place we create around us has a strong influence on our personal well-being. Follow me for my inspirations and musings at @hannahhutch5 and Pinterest.
Below is a guest post on the subject of sliding glass doors for homes. As an interior designer in Arizona, I place and re-place quite a few doors like this since one of the goals for those of us who live here is almost always to enable indoor / outdoor living environments both visually and physically.
That said, we live in a world where security is of concern so the glass doors need to have reliable locking mechanisms. No reason to compromise between beauty and security. So if you are in the market for new glass sliding doors, don’t forget the security component.
The author of this guest post from Australia is promoting secure sliding glass doors.
Top 6 Reasons for Getting Sliding Security Glass Doors for Homes
The popularity of sliding security doors is being realized by both homeowners and businesses. Sliding glass doors are mostly used by people as entrance to the garden or patio. Security doors prevent burglaries and protect homes from intruders. Besides security reasons and aesthetics, they are installed for greater visibility and air flow. When it comes to locking system, there are various options available. You can choose central lock system or side lock system. You can buy different varieties of sliding security doors from different online shops, but you must also buy a material that can be cleaned and maintained very easily.
6 main reasons for installing glass sliding security doors!
- When compared to the traditional doors, sliding security glass doors offer an added security since they are swung open with the hinge. Sliding security doors are secured with the latch, making it difficult for intruders to meddle.
- If you install sliding doors, you will enjoy more space inside the building premises and house. It increases the space available as it narrows down the obstruction both indoors and outdoors.
- When it comes to sliding doors, there are various options available in the market. More and more manufacturers have embarked on the production of glass sliding doors in different styles and patterns. These doors are the ideal options to choose when you consider doing your office renovation, or of you want the perfect office fit-out at a reasonable price.
- Sliding doors are much easier to clean and maintain. Do-it-yourself cleaning solutions are available to remedy the glass if anything happens to it. Glass cleaning solutions can be availed at budget friendly rates.
- The sliding security doors comprise glass material can give the room an instant facelift. The door offers a chic and modern look to the interior. The once drab room can become elegant and beautiful in no time.
- With glass doors, you can have a better look of your landscape area or patio. The home will also enjoy natural lighting. One can also use curtains and drapes to dim the light.
Get rid of the traditional doors!
Those who crave to get rid of old-fashioned and traditional look of their home; they can install glass sliding doors. Find the best sliding security doors to match up your needs. Check the internet or pay visit to a hardware store to see the variety of gates sold. It can add it to the curb appeal of the home while making it modern.
Traditional glass security doors and modern security doors!
Modern glass security doors have a huge advantage over the traditional ones. The major change in the glass panels is the reason for installing modern doors. When traditional doors used only a single panel, the modern security door has multiple panels of glazed glass. These doors are also the best for your garden area, as you can regulate the entry and exit into your garden, with these security sliding doors.
Enjoying the outdoor view!
You may be having a beautiful landscape area and willing to enjoy the outdoors from inside your home. If you want to see the outdoors from the interior, while not compromising on the safety of the family, then you should choose sliding security doors made up of glass to enjoy a clear view. Make sure nothing is visible from the outside.
At the big box hardware store, you can find hundreds of choices with respect to sliding security doors. Have a look at the frame of the door since that needs to be factory constructed in different styles. Choose an appropriate one for your needs.
Below is a guest post from an Australian writer on the subject of glass railings; balustrades as they are referred to across the pond.
Ensure the Safety of your home with the Designer Glass Balustrades/Railings
If you have started with a new home construction, or of you want to renovate your home, or else, if you are the owner of a shopping mall, spa or parlor, then you can include glass balustrading as part of your interior decoration, as these make your staircase look attractive, sleek and contemporary. There are numerous designs available in the market, and you can search from the online portals to get your glass balustrading done in the perfect manner. Balustrades that are usually made with toughened glass last long, and they are scratch and corrosion-proof:
- Initially balustrades used to be manufactured of stone or wood, but now, these traditional and archaic materials are no longer in use, and glass stands for the luxury and superiority when it comes to using your balustrades for a long term purpose, or for enhancing the aesthetic and the retail value of your property.
- When it comes to make a sustainable and eco-friendly landscape in your home, glass balustrades have no other alternative, as they are not heavy as marble or stone balustrades and they do not rust like the steel or the metal balustrades.
Know about the top 10 benefits of glass balustrading:
- Glass balustrading looks sleek and stylish and it adds to the charm of any existing building or a new construction. If you are the owner of a corporate set-up, you can impress your clients with the décor and functionality of the glass balustrades. These also enhance the resale value of your home.
- Glass balustrading does not block the entry of sunlight into your rooms, as it filters the light and lets it enter, so that the interior remains warm during winters. If you have a swimming pool, you can easily install the frameless or the semi-frameless glass balustrades to ensure that the view of the space is not blocked.
- Glass balustrading involves no hassles while cleaning and maintaining these. It is very easy to clean the glass balustrades all by yourself, and you do not require any professional help for maintaining your balustrades. You can use a quality glass cleaner, or else, if there are scratches and dents over the balustrades, then you can simply use the polishing methods to bring back the balustrades into the original form.
- Glass gives the illusion of a larger space. This cannot be achieved with metallic, iron or stone balustrades.
- Glass is a versatile option, when it comes to choose from a large number of designs, shapes and layouts. You can customize the designs depending on your needs, or else, you can go through home design catalogues to get an idea about how to install the balustrades. You can also choose from different frames, or go for the frameless options.
- Toughened glass is not brittle, but it shows an excellent durability even when you compare it to stone or metal balustrades. There is minimum aging related to glass, so if you use good quality glass balustrading, it will not chip, wear out or break off. In case you have children, aged parents or pets at home, you can install these tough balustrades without worrying about any accidents.
- Glass balustrading costs less than the traditional stone or marble balustrading, and these are also quite easy to install.
- Glass balustrading is strong and safe, and made of unbreakable glass, so that these can withstand huge pressure.
- Glass is an eco-friendly option, when it comes to choosing the best interior layout for your home.
- They are the best safety providers which do not let people fall down from stairs or balconies.
So now, you can call to the glass balustrading companies and get a quote from them and install the best glass balustrades in your home.
Below is a guest post on the subject of design ideas for a modern kitchen. In this case the word modern is perhaps a misnomer. I would characterize the ideas as creative. In today’s world we are spending more time in the kitchen area of our homes with family and friends so it is definitely a room in which you want to maximize function, and optimize the look and feel.
S Interior Design has added comments to the post below (shown in italic font).